Weather Analyst / Meteorologist
Company: MET International AG
MET International AG (METI) was established in 2010 in order to consolidate and develop MET Group’s international natural gas sales and purchase portfolio, as well as to establish a trading arm for commodity lines.
Currently we are looking for a Weather Analyst / Meteorologist who formulates and communicates weather forecasts to support the company’s energy trading activities. Generates pan-european daily/weekly/monthly weather forecasts as needed by trading desk personnel. Required to provide input into trading decisions that may result in the establishment of large speculative and hedging trading positions. Effectively communicates high impact weather events that may move both gas and power markets. Develops a proprietary long-term seasonal forecast across Europe for both the trading desk and the Company management team. Requires detailed understanding of financial derivatives, including weather derivatives and their constituent components.
- Daily morning update with commentary on overnight weather model changes and give an assessment on confidence in the weather models runs.
- Daily briefings covering European weather (temperature, wind, solar, rainfall/hydro) as well as global weather with focus on US and Asia for LNG and coal.
- Provide timely updates on important changes in the seasonal forecasts.
- Provide support on ad-hoc basis on weather related price impacts and trading decisions.
- Take ownership weather related data and internal weather database.
- Support power analytics with analyses, statistics and time series analysis of all relevant weather-related energy market parameters.
- Track, assess and evaluate weather forecasts (short and long-term) in order to constantly improve in-house models and select best data providers.
- Develop and maintain weather related models: power demand model, wind & solar production models, and hydrology model.
If you have already demonstrated aptitude with numerical weather prediction models and statistical programmin languages such as VA, Python, SQL, etc., and if you have a minimum of 5 years experience in a fast paced, real-time weather forecasting environment preferably from a commodity trading environment, we are very much looking forward to receiving your application.