Benjamin Lakatos is the founder, Chief Executive Officer and majority owner of MET Group, headquartered in Switzerland. He focuses on Group strategy, business development and high-level relationships.
- Benjamin Lakatos began his career in MOL, successfully participating in various energy transactions in Central and Eastern Europe, CIS countries, North Africa and the Middle East.
- He played a key role in the Hungarian natural gas market liberalization, by participating in the divestment of MOL’s natural gas business, the construction of a new underground gas storage (MMBF Ltd.) and was a member of the Steering Committee of the Nabucco Gas Pipeline Project.
- Realizing the market trends and opportunities driven by the changes in EU legislation, he developed a new business approach and founded MET in 2007, with the main focus on natural gas and trading, followed by the entry into the power markets in 2013.
- Under his leadership MET Group became an independent, Swiss-based multi-commodity energy company, present in 14 countries through subsidiaries, 25 national gas markets and 22 international trading hubs, employing over 650+ individuals of more than 30 different nationalities
- Mr. Lakatos became the majority owner of MET Group through a Management Buy Out in 2018.
- Mr. Lakatos has been awarded the Freedom of the City by the City of Tamási in Hungary.
- He is the founder of the Franciscan Scholarship Foundation Program.
Education and personal background
- MSc in Economics from the Budapest University of Economics, Hungary.
- MBA Scholarship at the State University of New York.
- Mr. Lakatos is a native Hungarian, he speaks English and German.