Benjamin Lakatos is the founder, Chief Executive Officer and majority owner of MET Group headquartered in Switzerland. He focuses in particular on Group strategy, new business development and high-level relationships.
- Benjamin Lakatos began his career in the Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) department at MOL, successfully participating in various Energy transactions in CEE.
- As Vice President of MOL Upstream Acquisitions and Divestitures, he managed upstream investments (oil and gas fields and exploration rights) in the former CIS countries, North Africa and the Middle East.
- He played a key role in the Hungarian natural gas market liberalization, by participating in the divestment of MOL’s natural gas business, the construction of a new underground gas storage (MMBF Ltd.), and was a member of the Steering Committee of the “Nabucco Gas Pipeline Project”.
- Realizing the market trends and opportunities given by the change in EU legislation, he developed a new business approach and founded MET in 2007 with main focus on natural gas and trading, then opening up towards the electricity market in 2013.
- Under his leadership MET Group became an independent, Switzerland based, multi-commodity wholesale and trading firm, present in 15 countries through subsidiaries, 28 national gas markets and 23 international trading hubs.
- Lakatos became majority owner of MET Group through a Management Buy Out in 2018.
- Mr. Lakatos is Member of the Directorate of Hungarian Hydrocarbon Stockpiling Association since 2009.
- Mr. Lakatos has been awarded the Freedom of the City by the City of Tamási in Hungary.
- He is the founder of Ferences Tanulmányi Ösztöndíj program.
Education and personal background
- MSc as an economist from Budapest University of Economics, Hungary.
- MBA Scholarship at the State University of New York.
- Mr. Lakatos is a native Hungarian, he speaks English and German.